About this site

I have had an abiding interest in the NASA and in a wider sense humanities efforts to leave our planet since around the age of seven or eight when I watched in some awe the splashdown from one of the early missions to land a man on the moon. I don't remember which one but it left an indelible impression.

I followed the progress of Skylab, the very successful Russian space station program and of course the NASA space shuttle overshadowed by the two disasters. More recently it is the widely unreported progress as the International Space station is continually expanded. In the back of my mind has always been the question why have we not been back to the moon in almost fifty years and why haven't we already got a permanent colony on Mars, it certainly seemed like we were heading that way in the early nineteen seventies, I think I know the answer to that now, which I will share with you later.

But what reignited my interest, or more correctly brought it back to the surface, was it the Ansari X Prize, or perhaps Virgin Galactic's goal of flights to the edge of space based on the winner of the X Prize, or was it perhaps Elon Musk and his recent Falcon Heavy test flight by Space X which put one of is electric cars into an orbit around the sun, or perhaps its was the success of Peter Beck's Electron rocket (RocketLab USA) which will be launching a series of commercial payloads from the Mahia Peninsula in New Zealand, watching one of those launches being very high on my bucket list.

No, not really, it was in fact due to the release by the Lego company of Denmark a scale model of the Saturn V Rocket. Standing around a meter tall when built and constructed from 1969 parts, from the minute I saw it, I knew I had to own one. Once built, I then started looking around for other space related models which I could make to display alongside it.

The idea behind this blog is to build up a comprehensive historical reference source initially focusing on the early American space program up to the moon landings but branching out into relevant and related topics as necessary to build a complete picture.

So as Buzz Lightyear would say "To infinity and beyond".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lego enters the space race

Where too now?

The Moon landings no hoax